This post title is officially how I will start any award acceptance speech I ever give. It’s a good thing that teachers don’t have to give too many speeches! The past five days have been crazy and I am now just catching up with the internet. From my brother graduating to coming down with a terrible sore throat topped off with a migraine, I wasn’t able to recognize the awesomeness of Casey from Aslan’s Albany Adventures. This lovely lady (who’s stellar blog you must check out!) nominated me for a Liebster Award!
This award recognizes smaller blogs and their great contributions to the blog-osphere. While it’s essentially a chain letter (yup, I looked it up because I can’t stand to have an unlinked image), it’s such a sweet way to show some love to the other people who are working their fingers away to type up a lovely and engaging blog.
The rules are:
* Acknowledge the blog who nominated you
* Tell 11 facts about yourself
* Answer the 11 questions asked by the nominating blogger
Now that I’ve committed, here it goes!
Eleven facts about me:
1. I am the shortest member of my immediate family and I’m 5’8″. My brother is 6’4″ and my mom is always asking him if he likes being that tall.
2. My name comes from a vineyard name…or essentially I am named after a wine. I feel like Beth from Hang On, Honey would appreciate this…
3. I have a great sense of direction and absolutely love maps. I am right now trying to get my students as excited about maps as I am and it’s tough work.
4. My back patio is my favorite part of our apartment, especially now that the weather is getting warmer.
5. I am a Jersey girl who loves country music. Maybe it’s all those summers spent in Georgia. Now I’m converting Nick to my Southern ways.
6. I hate wearing shoes. I love, love, love pretty shoes but I think the best thing in the world is walking around in your bare feet.
7. I get migraine headaches pretty frequently especially when the weather is changing in the Spring and Fall.
8. Bruce Springsteen will always be the greatest musician ever whether I live in Jersey or not.
9. I love every single part of my job and pour through teacher supply catalogues dreaming of decorating my classroom a million different ways.
10. My car is a Toyota Yaris and it’s the best car anybody’s ever had.
Now for my questions:
If you had all the money in the world for any hobby, what would it be?
– I don’t know if it qualifies as a hobby but I would use all my money in the world to travel. I am a travel addict and my list of places to visit is a mile long.
What is your fondest memory from childhood?
– My fondest memories always come from Christmas. We used to spend Christmas morning as a family at our house then drive about four hours to my grandparents to see my mom’s side of the family. One Christmas there was a crazy blizzard but we went anyway. We drove half of the way with the windows down so my dad could see when the wipers iced over. It was really crazy but a great memory.
What did you want to be when you “grew up”?
– I wanted to be so many things I can’t even remember them all. The first thing I think I wanted to be was a model/mail woman for some odd reason and I wanted to be a teacher before I got to college and started studying to work in museums. I finally got back to teaching and am now so happy that I grew up to be a teacher.
What is your hometown’s best-kept secret?
– I grew up in Princeton which is pretty famous for its Ivy League university. I think that the best kept secret is the Princeton Battlefield where George Washington’s troops fought back the British and it was a real turning point in the war. For many years there was this old oak tree where General Mercer died. It was the original tree which blows my mind! But then it was struck by lightning. They managed to salvage some seeds from the original tree and planted one to grow in the same spot. It’s such a beautiful open field and I spent so many summer days picnicking there with my girls, Nick and my family.
If you could only blog one topic for a year, what would it be?
– Definitely fashion. I love clothes and I love my outfit posts.
How has the blogging world enriched your life?
– There are so many wonderful bloggers out there that you can connect with. But I feel like I have also been more consciously creative thinking about the way I take pictures, whether for my blog or personal photos. I also get so many great ideas from all these creative ladies for dinners, outfits, and crafts.
Favorite throwback song?
– Soco Amaretto Lime by Brand New since it will always remind me of my best girl friends and our last year of high school.
Favorite ice cream flavor?
– Chocolate chip cookie dough
What is your ideal summer vacation spot?
– Tybee Island, Georgia. Oh, take me away!
How long have you been blogging?
– About three and a half years but this is the first year that I’ve really worked on building a better space and great content.
What is something from your past that you wish you could bring back?
– I would love to bring back the long summer vacations I used to get from going to a private school. We used to get out the first week of June and didn’t go back until right after Memorial Day. I guess I could work at a private school but it will never be the same as those summers with my girls driving down the Shore listening to the Backstreet Boys.
Now I thought really hard about this but I will not be nominating bloggers for the award. While I am honored to have been chosen by Casey, I am going to show the blog love by commenting on others blogs instead. I know how precious those comments are when you pour your heart into a blog post, hit publish and send it out into the world. So off I go to comment on the blogs I love and show them that the little blogs are the best ones!