Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I scheduled this post yesterday because I didn’t want to waste one single moment of one my favorite holidays. There are so many great things about this day but I found out from my kindergartners that it’s mostly about the food, especially carrots. Got to love hearing what the best part of anything is from a five year old. But for me, the food is just a bonus. I love getting to see my family, especially my grandparents, and catching up. I especially love watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade. I love it so much I even figured out a way to write a paper about its history for college.
There is also such a great and simple message on this day: be grateful for all you have, large and small. We rush about our daily lives without thinking about all the things that are great. We tend to dwell on the things that don’t go our way or that get us down. Today we actually have a whole day to reflect on the many things that make life great and get a chance to feel thankful for it all. Here’s what I’m feeling thankful for on this very special day:
1. My family and friends. The special people in my life will always be at the top of my list of gratefulness. I feel very blessed to have a family and friends that have supported me through good times and bad. I have found myself especially blessed in the friends department as they are some of the sweetest, funniest, and sincerest friends a girl could ask for.
2. Having a job I love. While this job is finished come January, I am so grateful for this opportunity to get some experience and start my career. I am tired at the end of the day but I know I’ve given my 110 percent for this crazy bunch of kids. I love the projects we do, the conversations I have, and the big hugs I get right when I need them. Teaching isn’t for everyone but it’s definitely something I’m privileged to get to do.
3. My new home. Nick and I moved in together at the beginning of this month and, while I was uncertain about renting and signing off on a one year lease, it was the best decision we made. It’s so cozy and comfortable and it’s wonderful to come home to Nick each night. I can’t wait to share pictures on here soon!
4. The many things I take for granted. My car, food in the fridge, a closet full of beautiful clothes, the pair of Toms on my feet, sometimes I think I’m not as grateful as I need to be for the everyday things I take for granted. They’re just there but what if they weren’t? Living in NJ, a state so devastated by Hurricane Sandy, I have become even more thankful for the everyday things I have. Even electricity and heat is something I want to say thank you. There are so many things I can’t imagine my life without and the fact that I have them makes me so very grateful.
5. My loving boyfriend. A list of things to be thankful for would be meaningless without mentioning my fantastic boyfriend. He’s the rock I lean on and my biggest cheerleader. I’m thankful for finding someone so right and perfect for me.
Of course I would add that I’m thankful for this day, its silly traditions and delicious food. I hope that you all have a wonderful holiday!