Some days you just feel blah. I definitely know that feeling now with the monotony of applying for jobs and more applying for jobs. You may feel that what you really need is a big change but honestly, it can only take doing something simple to get you back on track and feeling good. Or at least feeling slightly better.
1. Read a book: Always my go-to to feeling better. A story can be just the pick-me-up you need and escaping for a few moments into a book can feel like an instant refresher. An escape from reality may be all it takes to make you ready to take on the rest of the day. Stop what you’re doing for a few minutes and indulge in a few pages of your latest read, or a whole chapter. If you can’t stop, maybe use your lunch break to snack and read or put off cleaning up when you get home in favor of sipping wine and flipping pages.
2. Take a hot shower: there is nothing better for wiping away a stressful day than a hot and steamy shower. You’ll feel clean and refreshed once you step out like the blues never got to you in the first place.
3. Sit, run, walk outside: fresh air is the perfect medicine to make you feel better. I didn’t just say go for a run either; sometimes just sitting outside can calm you down and make everything feel alright in the world. Physically activity though is known to be a natural high and you might as well start looking good while you’re feeling good.
4. Watch a romantic comedy: movies are like a mini getaway for your mind. You can focus on someone else’s crazy life while putting yours on the back burner. My favorite type of movie to combat the blues is a romantic comedy. The perfect amount of laughs paired with everything-turns-out-great ending are perfect for turning my day around. Plan on having that movie night as soon as you get home with a treat and a couple of comfy pillows. I love watching When Harry Met Sally and 13 Going On 30.
5. Pamper yourself with beauty products: feel better by showing yourself some love in the time old tradition of “look good, feel good.” Something as simple as a face mask can make you feel like you’re worth it and push all those unhappy thoughts away. Even if you don’t have a lot of time, slather your best smelling moisturizer on your skin for a few moments to stop the rush of the day.
6. Make a small impulse buy: while you may be trying to save money for something big, sometimes parting with a little cash to make a happy purchase will ease your stress. Don’t think impulse buy like that extremely expensive handbag. While that’ll make you feel good in the moment, you’ll be feeling less stellar when you see the dent it makes in your savings. Instead stick to something small like a new nail polish, magazine, or cheap accessory from places like Forever 21 or H&M to brighten your day. It’s a way to feel a little rich and a little better without the damage to your wallet.
7. Write a letter to vent your thoughts: you may not be feeling so hot because you’re mad. You might be mad at something or someone and you can’t always let them know. Instead of letting those thoughts sink you, put pen to paper and get it all out. I guarantee once it’s done, you’ll be able to throw that letter out and move on.
8. Start a project that you’ve been putting off: nothing turns a day around more than a feeling of accomplishment. If you have the time, tackle something you’ve been putting off. Even a tiny step towards getting it done will make you feel like you’re going somewhere.
Feeling better means doing better by yourself. Take some time for you today and watch everything around you get better.